Locum Associate/Senior Editor - BMC Series - #459532
BioMed Central is the leading open access publisher of STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) research. Since it was founded in 2000, BioMed Central has successfully pioneered the open access publishing model and brought open access to the mainstream. With offices in London, North America and Asia, the company employs over 290 people across a range of operations including editorial, production, IT and business. BioMed Central is a vibrant and innovative company. It operates in a fast-paced and high-energy environment, hiring talented people who are passionate about science, technology, medicine and open access.
Locum Associate/Senior Editor, BMC Series
Location: London, Berlin, New York or Shanghai
Closing Date: 15th July 2022
The BMC Series are looking for an Associate/Senior Editor work across several journals within our medical and life sciences portfolios.
The BMC series publishes scientifically valid and technically rigorous research. In this role, you would be responsible for handling manuscripts, providing advice to external editorial board members and developing the content of these journals. Communication is a key part of this role, as you will need to build excellent and productive relationships with the editorial board. You will also work closely with internal teams responsible for editorial support, as well as marketing and data sharing.
This is a dynamic and varied role that will give you the opportunity to see content across a broad range of topics and contribute to the success of BMC as a whole.
- Oversee the content published in these journals, primarily by advising on content handled by editorial board members, but also by handling individual submissions yourself where required, assessing their relevance to the journal and selecting peer reviewers as needed.
- Support the investigation and resolution of publishing or research ethics cases.
- Contribute to journal development plans for each journal in your portfolio, taking into account individual journal performance and development needs, as well as the overall strategy of the BMC journals.
- Ensure that appropriate editorial standards are upheld.
- Build excellent communications and relationships with Editorial Board Members and authors.
- Ensure that all members of the Editorial Board are fully aware of the ethos and editorial policies of the journal and the BMC series, and have all necessary training and information to perform their roles.
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Educated to PhD level (or equivalent), in a relevant field
- An interest in open access publishing
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills, able to balance short-term deadlines with long-term goals
- Self-starter with a positive, can-do approach to problem-solving
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues at all levels
- Willing to travel occasionally and represent BMC at external events
This role can be located in our London, Berlin, Shanghai or New York offices. The position is offered on a full-time, fixed-term basis.
Further information about life at springer Nature, hybrid working and the range of benefits available in your preferred location will be shared during the interview process.
To apply, please submit a CV and a cover letter outlining your key ambitions in the role, including your salary expectations and notice period.
Candidates will be considered as they apply.
Springer Nature is a Disability Confident Committed Employer. If you would like to submit your application in an alternative format or speak to a member of our Resourcing Team please contact us via [email protected] or phone +442070144089.
At Springer Nature we value and celebrate the diversity of our people. We recognise the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.